Thursday, April 07, 2005

Metheny (live)


Ah Hallelujah!

Now the temperatures are catching up with the calendar! The last two nights on the Bateaux were 63/64 degrees respectively. This city is amazing. The tip of lower Manhattan - where it all started with the Dutch East India Co. almost 400 years ago. Hard to believe, but there it is.

Dense City. Density. Truly.

So it has been an active time. A mostly good time.

I saw Metheny at the Beacon Saturday night. The Way Up tour. Speaking of density...

I have to say that he's got balls to open a concert with an hour-long piece that noone really knows yet (ok, the few Metheny-geeks in the crowd may have toiled away at it). I find it variously both really uplifting and inspired, but then also having my attention wanderwanderwander...away. I guess that is his point - something about in this day and age of the sound bite, to really have to make a commitment of time and effort to stay with the piece is in itself a statement against the prevailing trends. The only problem is, it seemed to have the same effect on his band as it had on everyone else: glassy-eyed surrender (well, ok - in the case of the band, this was really only true toward the last half hour of the show).

But all this bespeaks more EFFORT than it really is. I stay with my original analysis from last month as I went up the Taconic Parkway listening to it: Metheny does great road music.

And the two hours of the concert that followed were mostly killin'. I could write much more on this(maybe I will).

Going to Brooklyn for my shakuhachi lesson.

Piano:
Up Jumed Spring

Shakuhachi:
Tsuru no Sugomori (lesson/final)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home