Thursday, February 17, 2005

Nice night last night on the Bateaux. Dempsey and the girls (Kyle Ann/Joey). I, perhaps for the first time since being back from the 6 week haitus, felt mostly like "myself". Last night was our 5th night back. The first one I was just going for it. The second I was paying for the first and needed to warm up 45 minutes just to be able to think about playing tunes. I used the 6 week break for the hands, but I also lost a little ground. The bass is no joke. It's probably the most physically demanding of all the instruments I play.

The first set we played How Deep is the Ocean, My Foolish Heart, My Shining Hour and a fourth one...

I was just playing through My Foolish Heart on piano. I like playing it with a brazilian groove. Maybe its overdone as a ballad. Maybe you could never overdo the tune, just not play it to the standard that is written on the page (I'm hearing echoes of cats who will dismiss a tune because it's "overfamiliar" - or maybe they think they've played it too much. Or maybe they had a "bad" exerience playing it on some shitty gig they're trying to forget. I don't know. I hear all kinds of shit. Or maybe they're great students of the music and want to get to the OTHER gazillion tunes there are to play and discover and exhibit.)

I've got to git' ta Brooklyn and play Zan Getsu with Jim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home