Monday, April 11, 2005

What's New


What's new indeed, peeps.

Much.

Lots.

But yes, what got me to ask the question was playing thru the tune. Great. I think I've assigned a certain negative connotation to the tune due to hearing alot of BAD versions of it over the years (and in some cases being a part of those, unfortunately). But it is actually a very cool tune, in the way that it plays around with Major and minor modalities. You're in C and then you're in c minor and back again. I think I just needed to sit down with it to really appreciate it. And there are definitely some great recorded versions of it out there.

Reading the bittersweet lyrics (ok, actually sweetbittersweetbittersweetbittersweetbitter: read them here) helps to make sense of the shifting clouds and shadows of an otherwise sunny day of a tune. I just learned that the guy that wrote them - Johnny Burke - wrote the lyrics to many standard tunes. Here's a list.

And the fact that the melody modulates up a fourth to comprise the bridge is also a cool and a relatively little used device. I can think of one other tune off the top of my head that uses that and that is Good Bait. Seems like there's another... I'll think about it.

Anyway:

Piano:

What's New
West Coast Blues

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home