Friday, October 19, 2007

Shakuhachi News

Playing shakuhachi today from 12-4 at the New York Botanic Garden in the Bronx - across the street from the Bronx Zoo. I am playing for a festival called "Kiku - the art of the Japanese Chrysanthemum" (this is the kind of thing that is a turn on for a Botanist). It looks pretty cool, actually.

I started back with Jim a couple of weeks ago - onto the optional, and final, level.

But he is out of optional level Honkyoku books and is very busy now. So I offered to make up a batch - as ongoing teacher training. Not to mention the practical fact that I need to make up my own books to teach with.

First steps of opening the Yoraku Dojo!

I have substitute-taught for Jim a few times over the years, but taught my first beginner lesson for him last Wed. Nice guy - Andrey. He has had only a couple of lessons. It was a good experience for me. I remember being that guy! Shak is a challenging - but rewarding - undertaking. Patience a must! Andrey is doing great. He seems really into it.

I'm back in to a daily practice. I'm playing Rokudan everyday as an exercise (not to mention to really learn the thing!). Little bit of almost everything in Rokudan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home