Monday, January 28, 2008


New York Fu#%in' City

This news is somewhat dated, but still with me. Two consecutive Wednesdays I went out to the van to drive to my shakuhachi lesson in Brooklyn and found my gas gauge not just on empty, but BONE dry. I keep a pretty close eye on the fuel reading (who doesn't these days?) and know that I had something less than a half tank, but not anywhere close to a flatline. I remember the Wednesdays because they both followed holidays - the 26th of Dec. and the 2nd of Jan.
In both instances I was off the Tuesdays prior and the car sat, up on Riverside Dr., the second time on Henshaw (somehow the probability of bad things happening to your car increase exponentially the longer it sits on the street).
I pretty much knew someone had siphoned the tank after the first time, the second time compelled me to act, hence the portrait of my new fuel savior (no problems since!). Can you believe that shit? Has it gotten THERE? This was a first (and then a second).

2 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crime? In New York City? I'm shocked, shocked!

You know how it is, bro': In a city of millions of people, there are bound to be a few bad apples.

I'm just glad that the lid over my car's gas cap pops open from the inside.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Chixulub said...

Well, growing up with a high school teacher for a father, I came to view locking gas caps as the norm. It won't stop a disgruntled student from pouring battery acid on your paint job, but it will keep you from being stranded to boot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home