Monday, April 11, 2005

Giblet Gravy


So, going on a search for What's New on iTunes, I found a WHOLE bunch!

One of them was on George Benson's Giblet Gravy, an album I hadn't heard yet! (It has a young Benson looking much like an early Eddie Murphy on the cover. Or I guess, techinically, it would be the other way around;-)

I continued on to the iTunes store where I bought it/downloaded it.

You know, we need a new word for that. You may download something, but you don't necessarily buy it. You may buy something, but you don't necessarily download it.
We need a new, single word which describes these new actions. How about Bownloaded it? Downbought it?
Somebody call Safire.

Wow. Part of this Benson record has Herbie Hancock/Ron Carter + Billie Cobham from Feb '68. The rest is imbued with more of that late 60's jazz/pop/west coast thing. That was a strange time for jazz. It was supplanted by rock as the youth's protest/challenge-the-status-quo music. It tried to morph into something else - "jazz-fusion" - but the dye was cast.

But that architecture, the sonic and momentary monuments created by those giants, are all still standing, thanks to the happy coincedence of the technological revolution enabling us (them) to preserve - hopefully for all time - the sounds and experiences for posterity.

That's a whole other topic...

The other thing I've been listening to today is Wes Montgomery's Boss Guitar. Badass! '63. Mel Rhyne organ, Jimmy Cobb drums. That version of Besame Mucho in 6/8 is great. This is also a record that recently came to me.

That got me to look at Besame Mucho on piano.

We play it almost every night on the Bateaux, but amazingly, I'm not sick of it. It is truly an international standard. As it happens, the composer, Consuelo Velazquez, just died in January in Mexico City at the age of 84.

I also ripped some Stevie Wonder into iTunes: Fulfillingness' First Finale and Talking Book.

Piano:
Besame Mucho

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home