Friday, April 27, 2007

Recital

Had a good night playing last night at Tenri for my shakuhachi graduation and certification.

I played one honkyoku piece - Echigo Sanya - and a Sankyoku piece with Mitsumi and Masumi Takamizu - Zan Getsu.

(I just posted a clip of Echigo Sanya on YouTube and the MySpace page.)

I was given the name "Yoraku" by my teacher Jim "Nyoraku" Schlefer.

I'll be playing Echigo Sanya again at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens for the annual Cherry Blossoms festival - Sakura Matsuri - on Saturday at about 3:30.

And I'll be playing once again at Tenri with the dancer Sachiyo Ito and Mitsumi-sama on May 6th.

Just enjoying the all the playing. Have been having some good nights on bass on the boat as well. More to come!

2 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger Clyde said...

Hey Bro!

You've been blogging since 2004 and never sent me the URL? Well, I've got it now and you're bookmarked. Congrats on your recital. What does "Yoraku" mean? I'm guessing it's not "grasshopper"! :-)

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Chixulub said...

I'm listening to the YouTube post, and I think I've got a new insight into the fundamental difference between us. I'm a total hard case on the ADHD front; I think you have a surplus of attention span.

This music, and I know you've been studying it long and hard, and that you're so overloaded with talent that music that actually requires long and hard study is hard for you to find, this is hard music to follow for most of us.

And you know I'm not someone who never graduated from power chords or Madonna hits. But accessibility-wise, this stuff makes Andrew Hill look like power chords and Madonna hits...

But good on you. And I haven't given up trying to relate to this music.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home