Saturday, February 09, 2008

Stryker/Slagle

07 Feb 08

Dave Stryker g
Steve Slagle as
Joe Lovano ts
Jay Anderson b
Victor Lewis d

Dizzy's NYC

Smokin' Players. Nice hit. Chelsea Bridge was a nice highlight. Also a J. Lovano tune that was a Calypso (title?) had my head bouncing from the rolling, forward propelling groove that Victor was laying down. He was playing a syncopated rhythm on the bell of the ride cymbal that sounded SO cool.

Great to hear my man Stryke Force. He has been playing the boat a fair amount lately and it has been great to play with him. A VERY musical cat. I think my favorite players all have a strong blues bent, even if implied around the edges, and this is a strong element in his playing.

My first time hearing Slagle. Kind of funny - I remember his name from a vinyl record my roommate from way back in the KC days - Steve Million - had of his: "Rio Highlife", recorded in...anybody, anybody? Yes! Down in Rio with all Brazilian musicians.

An amazing record for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the KILLER fretless electric bass playing of the late (great) bass player Nico Assumpcao. Some great writing and arranging on that record as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home