Tuesday, May 27, 2008


Relaxin' (Near) Camarillo

I flew in to LAX today and wound up going to check out the famous "Camarillo State Mental Hospital".

This was the place where Charlie Parker was committed, in 1946, for 6 months to treat his heroin addiction. The fantastic tune "Relaxin' At Camarillo" resulted.

The hospital was closed in 1997 and is now the campus of California State University, Channel Islands.

This follows my trip to Kansas City last week (congratulations Graduate Rachel!) where I got a chance to visit the grave site of my favorite musician - the self-same Charlie Parker - and pay my respects. I had the shakuhachi with me both times and blew a little Sui Zen each time. (Pic's to follow)

Following him around, trying to piece it all back together.



R.I.P. Sydney Pollack

And in totally unrelated news, I just noticed that one of my favorite directors/actors passed away today near Malibu - not far from where I am right now.

Come and go. Come and go.

1 Comments:

At 1:28 AM, Blogger Chixulub said...

Dude, you hit KC and didn't call?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home