Thursday, February 14, 2008

BB King's

Played Quinn's show at BB King on 42nd St last night. Tedd Firth MD'd and played piano. 8 piece horn section. It was her show about Rita Hayworth.

Had my lesson with Jim earlier in the day. I have mentioned that we have moved past the 41 Honkyoku (solo zen music) and 41 Sankyoku (trio ensemble) pieces.

By "moved past" I mean we have played them, reviewed them and played them again, upside down and backwards (I wish I was kidding). Each piece takes 3-4 weeks. This process takes years.

Once completed there are yet more pieces to learn on an "Optional" level (the pieces you have learned you play for the rest of your life).

18 more Honkyoku, 12 more Sankyoku.

Having gotten half way through the Honkyoku, yesterday he started me on the Sankyoku, to break it up (what is required of the player technically is quite different).

So all this to tell you we played through the piece Yachiyo Jishi. He was going to give me half of it, but we read that down, and it is not that long, so we played it through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home