Sunday, June 04, 2006

Update


Well I have finished my fourth week back doing gigs. By week I did 3,4,5 and 4 respectively. The Bateaux is cranking every single night on into August and probably beyond, so anything less than 7 per week is a result of subbing it out. Last year, if there were 7 cruises in a week, I would pretty much do all of them. I remember doing strings of 13 in a row. 217 in all. I think I like the idea of not doing so many.

Right now I'm doing 4-5 per week.

So how is it going?

Short answer: Getting there.

Longer answer: I can play, I'm regaining my strength and endurance on bass. There are fewer episodes at the end of a certain tune, or the end of the night, when I am groaning (had a couple of each of those over the last two weeks).

As far as the bone actually getting together, and hardening, I'm not sure. I haven't been x-rayed since March.

I am definitely way past March. I remember the first day I saw Cheryl Ann - April 3rd. Man, I had no mobility, plenty 'o pain and an uneasy uncertainty how everything was going to shake out. The future seemed like a pretty dark road in those days.

I'll see her again tomorrow after my first week NOT seeing her last week (Mem. Day and then I mixed up days and missed one - doh!).
And I'm doing 5 nights on the Bat. this week.

Also got a call from David Oliver last week to play Sono in Norwalk, CT with the drummer John Cutrone. I did this gig once in August 2004. Really cool - right out on the water.

I think there's still a picture of that day at the bottom of this page. Also some interesting shots of some great musicians.

I noticed he's had the great trumpeter Scott Wendholt up there to play the gig.

1 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger Chixulub said...

See, you're back in business.

Not that I ever had a doubt. When health problems ended my unlikely career as a musician, I had the feeling that what was stopping me wouldn't have stopped Karl.

I was right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home